Estate of Denial news clips (2/29/16)

Quincy Jones’ Lawsuit Against Michael Jackson Estate to Go to Trial

Hollywood Reporter

February 25, 2016

A $10 million lawsuit filed by producer Quincy Jones over projects made after Michael Jackson’s death will proceed to trial this summer, after a judge denied the defendants’ motion for summary judgment on Thursday.

In 2013 Jones sued Sony Entertainment and MJJ Productions, a song company controlled by the King of Pop’s estate, claiming master recordings he worked on were wrongfully edited and remixed to deprive him of backend profit participation on works including the This Is It film and soundtrack album and the 25th anniversary edition of Bad.

 

Ex-State Legislator Jarmoc Fired Back In Farm Dispute (CT)

Hartford Courant

February 26, 2016

A former state legislator has filed a lawsuit seeking to overturn a probate judge’s ruling that ordered him to pay back his father’s estate more than $2 million and accused him of using the family tobacco farm to obtain loans to fund a “lavish lifestyle.”

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Stephen Jarmoc this week in Superior Court in Hartford is against his sister Laura Jarmoc and Paul Ridgeway, the current administrator of their father, Edwin Jarmoc’s estate. The 11-page lawsuit does not name Probate Judge O. James Purnell but it rebukes many of the conclusions the judge reached in a harshly worded ruling earlier this month.

 

The Probate Court’s Dirty Secret That’s Robbing the Elderly in Retirement (FL)

Newsmax

February 26, 2016

Kathleen Dunn’s mother Jacqueline Scott was placed under the care of a professional fiduciary in Florida after a sibling filed in probate court to be her guardian. When a Pinellas County Judge began to restrict visitation with her then 82-year-old mother, Dunn filed a complaint.

“I was under the impression that we lived in America and this is the land of the free but I had no idea that people were being legally kidnapped to be robbed of all their assets and Constitutional rights,” Dunn said.

 

AG official wants more resources to battle guardianship abuse crisis in Nevada

Las Vegas Review-Journal

February 26, 2016

The Nevada attorney general’s chief of investigations told a Supreme Court panel Friday that he is becoming “increasingly aware” of the impact guardianship abuse is having on the state.

And it’s something he hopes his office can fix.

“The guardianship and elder abuse problems in our state are not going to go away,” Roland Swanson said. “Our elder population continues to grow. Our elderly citizens continue to be victimized across the state.”

Share
News