More background on MD shooting

Documents suggest Metz had threatened wife, family members before shooting
Nicholas C. Stern
October 3, 2009
The Frederick News-Post
A Frederick man charged in the shooting death of his wife told police he waited an hour before calling 911, according to charging documents filed in Frederick County District Court.

Marshall Franklin Metz, 65, told officers he did not try to stop the bleeding or help his wife of 39 years, Ann Sue Metz, 60, after she had been shot twice Tuesday inside their Dogwood Court home, according to court papers compiled by Frederick police detectives.

Marshall Metz said he did not know what to do, believed she was dead and threw a blanket over her, the documents state. After composing himself, Marshall Metz said he called 911 for an ambulance about an hour later.

Ann Metz had a faint pulse when help arrived, but she died upon arrival at Frederick Memorial Hospital, according to charging documents.

Detectives asked Marshall Metz why he waited an hour before calling for help.

“I don’t remember much. I was like a zombie. I was worked up after, I just sat in the recliner. Once I got myself straight, I called 911,” he said, according to court papers.

Officials took Marshall Metz to the hospital for elevated blood pressure and heart rate, documents state.

Lt. Shawn Martyak of the Frederick Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division said Marshall Metz was released Friday from Frederick Memorial Hospital and booked into the Frederick County Adult Detention Center.

Judge Janice R. Ambrose denied Metz bail Friday. He is being held on charges of first- and second-degree murder and using a handgun during the commission of a felony.

Charging documents filed in Frederick County District Court offer this account:

At about 12:42 p.m. Tuesday, Marshall Metz called emergency communications saying he had shot his wife.

As detectives arrived at the house, they found Marshall Metz sitting in a chair on the front porch.

Other officers found a loaded rifle on a couch near the entrance and a handgun on a kitchen table with the magazine removed.

Police found Ann Metz lying on her back on the kitchen floor, covered by a blanket.

Speaking to a detective at Frederick Memorial Hospital after the shooting, Marshall Metz said he and his wife had been separated for about a month, though the breakup had not been official, documents state.

Marshall Metz told detectives he had taken multiple medications earlier in the morning for health problems including high blood pressure, blood clots and other heart problems, according to the documents.

He said his wife had come to the house that morning to feed her pet turtles and then used a computer, documents state.

The couple argued about money and other family matters. Marshall Metz said Ann Metz grabbed his .22-caliber handgun from a desk drawer, documents state.

Marshall Metz told officers he kept the handgun for protection and a loaded rifle to hunt groundhogs, according to the documents.

Marshall Metz said Ann Metz was about 4 feet away from him when she pulled the gun on him. As he grabbed the gun from her, it went off, documents state.

Marshall Metz could not answer police when asked how many shots were fired. He said Ann Metz was still standing though, and he sat down on a bench and took apart the handgun.

He said Ann Metz then tried to grab a rifle in a corner, and he took it from her. He said it may have also gone off, according to the documents.

That’s when Ann Metz fell to the kitchen floor, according to court papers.

The charging documents state that, according to other witness testimony, Marshall Metz had threatened members of Ann Metz’s family with violence.

Marshall Metz told police he had given up the guns because he no longer hunted and did not need them, according to court papers.

Police said physical evidence indicated a struggle had taken place near the kitchen and a rear sliding door by a computer desk in the house.

Officers found a spent casing on the kitchen table and a spent bullet on the kitchen floor, court documents state.

Detectives also found an ammunition case, a carrying bag and a black nylon holster for a .22-caliber gun on the closet floor of an upstairs room, police said.